1. What is TLS?

Transport Layer Security (TLS) is a security protocol that is used to secure communications over the internet. TLS ensures that there is an adequate level of security, data privacy, and data integrity between two computer applications.

There are currently three versions of the TLS protocol in use today: TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2.  

TLS 1.0. and 1.1 are outdated versions of the protocol that are less secure than TLS 1.2.

2. Why is TLS 1.2 necessary?

Due to several weaknesses found in TLS 1.0 and 1.1, many websites and internet services are now starting to require the use of TLS 1.2 to ensure the security of the sent and received data.

3. How will this affect me?

The answer to this depends entirely upon which web browser and operating system you use to access your Journyx site.  Modern web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge and current operating systems fully support TLS 1.2, so the change will have no adverse affects.

The following browsers are known to be unable to use TLS 1.2:

• Android 4.3 and earlier versions
  • Firefox version 26 and earlier versions
  • Safari 6.1/OS X 10.8.4 and earlier versions
  • Chrome version 29 or earlier versions

Please note that Journyx no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer. We recommend you update to a more modern browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Apple Safari.

Click here to check if your browser supports TLS 1.2.

Below is an example of a web browser that DOES pass this test.

TLS 1.2 is supported.

Below is an example of a web browser that DOES NOT pass this test.

4. My web browser doesn't support TLS 1.2. What can I do?

If you have the ability, upgrading your web browser will be the best solution.  If you can't upgrade your web browser, switching to an alternate browser is an option.

The latest versions of Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome all support TLS 1.2.

5. What happens if I don’t upgrade to a modern browser by January 2020?

If you do not use a web browser that supports TLS 1.2 after January 2020, you will be unable to access your Journyx site entirely.

6. Can I get an extension?

We understand that this change could potentially be disruptive to your business if not made before the January 2020 deadline, which is why we are working to provide as much advance notice as possible.  While we cannot offer an extension, we encourage you to consult with your local IT team on how best to move forward.